2012 Institute Information Page
Attached below are the schedules for 2012 Summer Institute.
Elementary Schools and James House 2012 Institute Schedules
KRMS 2012 Institute Schedules
KRHS 2012 Institute Schedules
- Download the schedule associated with your building.
- Once you have that schedule, look for the column that lists your job category.
- Follow the schedule listed.
- Note that room assignments are listed on the schedule as well.
- Be sure to check the building location as not all sessions are at the same school.
- If there is an asterisk (*) next to an offering, it means that you have to register for that event. Please register on the form at the bottom of this page.
- ParaEducators do not need to register for day 3 as that is the mandatory day for all paras. Paras do need to register if they plan to attend optional day 1 or optional day 2
- Direct questions to Luci Koban (firstname.lastname@example.org or 526-2051)
Technology during Institute
Teachers should bring their District issued laptop along with their charger to all three days of Institute. Computer access will be available for ParaEducators as needed for specific workshops.
Descriptions for some of the sessions
Differentiated Instruction with Dr. Kevin Johnson will include the following 3 items.
Watch a grade 4 classroom in action.This seminar includes 4 center activities; literature circle with the teacher and 3 centers where students complete work independently during a 90 minute block.The centers include technology, math, and writing.Effective management strategies and routines are demonstrated and captured in I-movie formant.The participants will leave with 18 strategies for the writing center.
Writing Center Strategies
This seminar will provide 18 strategies that students can use during your literacy block.These strategies can be used for instruction with the whole class or small groups.These ideas support reading in the content areas and afford you the opportunity to work with small groups on targeted instruction.
Learning Styles 2 (Silver, Strong, Perini) and self-evaluation
This seminar will begin with an overview of the various types of learning styles that can be used to differentiate.We will then closely examine the four styles introduced by Silver, Strong, and Perini and what strategies work best with each type of style.A self-evaluation is included as an appendix for you to use as a self-assessment tool or to modify for use with your class.
The CPR offering is only for those who are RE-CERTIFYING. This session is scheduled for 8:30 - 11:45am.
Heather Hill (full day workshop) - for ParaEducators only
Do you wonder about...Behaviors and Specific disorders/disabilities?
- This workshop will provide paraprofessional the opportunity to explore specific disorders/disabilities and behaviors that are commonly exhibited
- Down Syndrome, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, PTSD, and neurological impairment are examples of the topics to be discussed
Turnitin provides originality checking, online grading and peer review to prevent plagiarism and engage students in the writing process. Turnitin encourages best practices for using and citing other people's written material and offers instructors ways to save time and improve their feedback on the writing process. The service offers a complete web-based service to manage the process of submitting and tracking papers electronically, providing better - and faster - feedback to students. We will give an overview of how to use this service and provide examples of how it has been used in various disciplines.
Last Modified on 7/24/2012 12:23:28 PM