Naviance Information Center
Naviance is the new college application program being utilized by Kearsarge. Naviance is the leading provider of planning and advising systems for secondary schools. Nearly 40,000 educators and counselors serving more than 3.5 million students in schools across the U.S. and in 60 other countries use Naviance products to manage academic and post-secondary advising, communicate with students and families, and analyze data.
1. Log On to Naviance: https://connection.naviance.com/fc/signin.php?hsid=kearsarge
2. Download the Instructions for navigating the KRHS Naviance website here.
THE COLLEGE APPLICATION PROCESS USING NAVIANCE
As you apply to colleges this year, the guidance department will be sending transcripts, and teacher and counselor recommendations electronically via the Naviance program to those schools that accept the Common Application. All seniors were sent a Naviance password in the mail. If you need it again, see Mrs. Messer. For colleges that use the Common Application, we encourage you to send in your application electronically, though it is your choice. If you are applying to schools using the Common Application, you have to take the following steps:
STEP 1 REGISTERING WITH THE COMMON APPLICATION AND NAVIANCE
1. Go to the Common Application web site. (www.commonapp.org)
2. Click on “Never Registered.” Register. Remember to write down your username and password and keep them in a safe place.
3. If you have never registered with Naviance and have your Naviance password, go to
https://connection.naviance.com/kearsarge. Place your password code under “New User” and then hit register.
4. Fill out the registration form on Naviance adding your e-mail and password. Then
submit. A screen will come up welcoming you to Naviance.
5. On the left side of the screen are multiple tabs. First go to my colleges. An important privacy notice for Common Application will pop up. Bubble “Yes I do” or “No I don’t“ waive my rights to access. (NOTE - Counselors and/or teachers may choose not to give you a recommendation unless you waive the right because letters of recommendation are confidential.)
Check the box for “ I authorize all secondary schools……….”. Add your Common Application username and password. Confirm password and submit.
6. CONGRATULATIONS!! You are now ready to use Naviance.
STEP 2 REVIEWING AND SELECTING COLLEGES.
1. Use the tabs under About College - college search, college look up, college match, college compare, scattergrams, maps, acceptance history to search for colleges and find out important information about colleges, majors, acceptance criteria etc. For each college you can look at their admissions criteria ( average SAT scores, GPA, % of applicants accepted). You can look at how many Kearsarge students applied last year (look under application history) and who got accepted and what their GPA/ SAT scores were (by looking under graph). From your college search you can begin to add colleges to your “my colleges” page under “colleges I am considering.”
STEP 3 APPLYING TO COLLEGES
1. The next step when you are ready is to move colleges from the “colleges I am considering “ to “colleges I am applying to”. As you type in a college you are applying to, you can request a transcript, a mid year transcript, and a final transcript. Click the “add college to list” button. YOU CAN ONLY DO THIS FOR SCHOOLS THAT ACCEPT THE COMMON APPLICATION.
At least four weeks before the college deadline, see Mrs. Messer in Guidance for a College Application Form and a Brag Sheet. Fill out and sign the Application Form and give it to Mrs. Messer. You and your parents should fill out the brag sheet. Mrs. Messer will make copies for you. Give one to your counselor and one to each of the teachers who are also writing a letter of recommendation for you. Your teacher and counselor recommendations and your transcript will all be sent out electronically to all schools who accept the Common Application.
3. IF A COLLEGE YOU ARE APPLYING TO DOES NOT ACCEPT THE COMMON APPLICATION, MAKE SURE TO GIVE THE TEACHER AND YOUR GUIDANCE COUNSELOR THE APPROPRIATE APPLICATION FORMS FOR THE COLLEGE. YOUR TRANSCRIPT WILL BE MAILED OUT. YOU MAY CHOOSE WHETHER OR NOT YOU WANT TO SEND YOUR APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY.
Last Modified on 3/28/2009 4:05:52 PM