AS A MEMBER OF MY LOCAL BOARD OF EDUCATION, I WILL STRIVE TO IMPROVE PUBLIC EDUCATION, AND TO THAT END I WILL STRIVE TO:
- Attend all regular scheduled Board meetings insofar as possible, and become informed concerning the issues to be considered at those meetings.
- Recognize that I should endeavor to make policy decisions only after full discussion at publicly held Board meetings.
- Render all decisions based on available facts and my independent judgment, and refuse to surrender that judgment to individuals or special interest groups.
- Encourage the free expression of opinion by all Board members, and seek systematic communications between the Board and students, staff, and all elements of the community.
- Work with other Board members to establish effective Board policies and to delegate authority of the administration of the schools, to the Superintendent of Schools.
- Communicate to other Board members and the Superintendent expressions of public reaction to Board policies and school programs.
- Inform myself about current educational issues by individual study and through participation in programs providing needed information, such as those sponsored by my state and national school boards associations.
- Support the employment of those persons best qualified to serve as school staff, and insist on a regular and impartial evaluation of all staff.
- Avoid being placed in a position of conflict of interest, and refrain from using my Board position for personal or partisan gain.
- Take no private action that will compromise the Board or administration, and respect the confidentiality of information that is privileged under applicable law or is received in confidence or non-public session.
- Remember always that my first and greatest concern must be the educational welfare of the students attending the public schools.
Legal Reference: NA
Date Adopted: October 24, 1985
Revision: November 17, 2011
Last Review: September 24, 2011