As an organization with a commitment to quality education and the safety of our students, the standards for appropriate online communication for the Kearsarge Regional School District (KRSD) are necessarily high. While we respect the right of students, employees, and other members of our community to utilize the variety of social media options available, we must insist that the following standards be met by our students and faculty at all times.
KRSD Social Media Comments and Public Participation Policy
The Superintendent or designee will act to protect the privacy rights of students, parents/guardians, staff, Board members, and other individuals on official district digital resources (websites, delivery systems).
Comments to KRSD-sponsored sites, such as its Website via blogs, online forums, etc., or social media sites, are welcomed and encouraged. To promote respectful discussion within this forum, courteous and productive comments are welcome; users are to engage in such exchanges with mutual respect for others’ opinions.
For the privacy of users and their families, all postings to KRSD-sponsored sites will be publicly available on the Internet and therefore publicly accessible without limitation or protection of any kind. Users must consider how much personal information to share, with the understanding that this information may be linked to an individual’s name and published on the Internet.
By posting a comment or other material to KRSD-sponsored sites as outlined above, KRSD has the right to re-use, display, modify, reproduce, publish, or distribute with permission from the originator.
KRSD further reserves the right to reject or remove comments for any reason and edit them to preserve readability for other users. Comments that are profane, obscene, offensive, sexually explicit, inappropriate, inflammatory, or otherwise objectionable will be removed. Any submissions that fail to follow this policy in any way or are otherwise irrelevant will be removed. Individuals, who post material on KRSD-sponsored sites, agree not to:
- Post material that KRSD determines is threatening, harassing, illegal, obscene, defamatory, slanderous, or hostile towards any individual or entity.
- Post phone numbers, email addresses, or other confidential information of students, faculty, or any other person other than that of the poster. If individuals choose to post their own contact information for any reason, the information will be available to the public and is, therefore, subject to misuse.
Failure to abide by this Policy, as with other KRSD policies, may result in disciplinary action as described in the Student Handbook/Responsible User Policy, or as determined by the Superintendent.
Creating and Maintaining Official Kearsarge Regional School District Social Networking Sites
All official KRSD social networking sites must be approved by the Superintendent or Principal and should adhere to the following standards:
- Logos and graphics used on official KRSD social networking sites must be consistent with the branding standards and usage guidelines of the KRSD.
- Sites that accept comments or postings by anyone other than the site administrator must be diligently monitored to ensure that information displayed fits within
- KRSD guidelines and is appropriate to the subject matter of the page.
- Students should not be expected to utilize the site as the only source of important information.
Unauthorized pages that have not been approved by the Superintendent or Principal will be treated as personal pages, and are therefore limited to the standards provided above. KRSD can require employees to disclose login information for accounts or services provided by virtue of the employment relationship or for devices or online accounts paid for, or supplied by, the employer.
First Reading: February 5, 2015
Second Reading: N/A
Date Adopted: February 19, 2015
Revision Dates: October 15, 2015
Last Review Date: October 15, 2015